Find a facility & start volunteering for the Delta Society with Nickel
So this one has 2 parts. I can't volunteer without finding a facility & I couldn't find a facility without becoming a member of the Delta Hearts of Gold chapter of the Delta Society. Maybe I should explain how we got involved with this in the first place. When Nickel was in obedience school, he did such a great job that the instructor recommended we get certified in the Delta Society so we can go to nursing homes, schools or hospitals to visit with people. Studies have shown that pet partners have such a positive impact on the people they visit, that I wanted to share sweet Nickel with everyone! Here's where you can get more information http://www.deltasociety.org/ about what it is & how to become a Pet Partner. So...Nickel & I went and tested in 2009. He passed & was cleared to visit one on one or small groups. He doesn't like large or loud groups, so this was perfect for him! We never did anything with the certification and it expires in March 2013, so I thought this is the year to get it together!! I joined the local chapter & was mentored on where to go and how it works on a visit. I went to Luella Marrett Elementary School without Nickel to watch another Pet Partner read with 3rd graders. The kids were so cute & it was neat to see hear stories of how they had improved.
Our first visit as a Pet Partners team was to James L West Alzheimer's Center . The normal visit is about 30-45 minutes. Mike, one of the employees, gave us a tour & walked us around introducing Nickel & I to some of the residents. Mike said Nickel did so well that we stayed for an hour and a half visiting each wing. Nickel was exhausted, but loved getting so much attention & treats from everyone! We are scheduled to go every Wednesday afternoon after Thanksgiving! Yay! Also, I went ahead & scheduled Nickel's evaluation in December so we can go ahead with our new certification.
No comments:
Post a Comment