Yesterday I attended a Celebration of Life for sweet baby James. Kara, a sorority sister from my days at Baylor, did such a great job planning it (which had to be so difficult). My heart breaks for Kara & Matt, as I could only imagine how difficult the past month has been on them. It was truly a celebration of the life James spent on earth & his reunion with God. James was diagnosed with a rabdoid tumor which is a very rare form of brain cancer in children under 2. In fact, 5 years ago there was not a treatment plan. Before that it was misdiagnosed. As it is not my story to tell, you can read about James's journey here. The situation that Kara & her hubs have been placed in is beyond devasting, yet their faith continues to be strengthened. Kara and her family are truly an inspiration to me. They live their faith "out loud" and don't even try to hide it. What a great example! James affected and changed more lives in his short 8 months than I have in my almost 30 years. I know he's changed mine & Ryan's. This has me thinking: What am I doing to change the lives of others? What's my focus on? In situations like this one I am reminded that life is fragile and we are not always promised tomorrow. So how will I make today count? These are not questions that I'm looking for answers to from my readers (if any!), but I guess questions to focus on what really matters each day and to let go of the petty stuff.
Kara has set up a foundation in honor of James. The James Camden Sikes Fund which will go towards researching rabdoid tumors. Ryan & I are donating and I know so many others are. If you have any desire to help the Sikes family, this is how and it would mean so much to them. I know many of my friends & family have been praying for James and his parents are so greatful and are amazed at how many people James has touched. You can read what Kara & Matt said at the service here and here. I have no idea how they had the courage to speak, but I guess that goes back to their faith in God & that he would provide what they needed when they needed it. It's comforting to know that I have many, many grandparents up in Heaven who are probably waiting in line to hold & play with sweet James!
You make my life better. :) Love you!
ReplyDelete:)
ReplyDelete